Excessive Junk mail, a waste of money?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Why are you wasting my money? Is this excessive junk mail the reason why less money is going to the children now? 
Photo of John

John

  • 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Shannon Massey

Shannon Massey, Employee

  • 1730 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Hi John, 
Thank you for contacting us about this issue. We appreciate the time you took to express your concerns because they are very important to us. Please know that we take financial integrity very seriously here at Compassion. As a Christian organization, we strive to make everything we do worthy of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It’s all about the kids. That's why 80% or more of your monthly support goes directly towards programming specifically for your child. We have made a promise to all of our supporters that we would never let that number fall below 80%. The remaining 20% or less is used for administration costs and to help us reach more supporters and children, which does include mailings. However, the amount of mailings that we currently send is no more than we have sent over the last few years. The difference you are seeing in these numbers is based on numerous things, many of which are slightly out of Compassion's direct hands and rather can actually be reduced by sending these mailings. For example, from time to time we will send a request out to our supporters explaining that if they switch from using debit or credit to an automatic withdraw for their monthly support, we can save a lot of money for the kiddos. This processing fee can make a huge difference when you think of how many supporters Compassion has. This is just one example. We want all of our supporters to know that we do in depth research on what the cost/benefit is on each and every mailing that is sent out. We strongly feel that the majority of the mailings we send impact the kiddo positively by spreading the word and helping to get our mission out. 

With that said, we would be more than happy to remove you from our mailing list if you would prefer? We want to ensure you are satisfied with our ministry and if you feel this would be helpful, please let us know! In addition John, if you would prefer to chat with us directly so that you can voice your concerns, please feel free to email us a time that would be best to call you to: socialmedia@compassion.com. We would be more than happy to speak with you to make sure that you feel comfortable with your account and our processes. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.