How reliable is the sponsorship?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

My wife and I are interested in sponsoring a child. We know it costs $38 monthly, however we would like to know more about the process of changing money to the currency of another country.
How reliable is it that the full amount will go to the child we support? Whether it be for healthcare, education, spiritual guidance, etc...
Also, we would love to do video chats with the child (in addition to the letters) and eventually we would like to visit him/her in person.
Photo of David Navarro

David Navarro

  • 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Teresa Dawn

Teresa Dawn

  • 457 Posts
  • 396 Reply Likes
I am not staff but can help until they are open on Monday. The money goes back to the project the child attends and the project provides them with a good meal, helps with school fees where applicable (not all school have fees and not all kids are old enough for school), homework help, medical checkups. Bible teachings, field trips etc. Each child's profile lists what their particular project provides as it depends on the need in the area. Video chat is not available, communication has to be in the form of letters sent through compassion, but you are definitely able to go meet your child in person.
Photo of Shannon Massey

Shannon Massey, Employee

  • 1731 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Hi David, 
We would be honored to have you sponsor a child with us! As you said, Compassion’s sponsorship amount is $38 per month. Compassion is committed to being the best stewards of your donations as possible. We have promised to make sure that we send at least 80% of your donation directly to the child's church for program fees. The other 20% is used for administration fees and also covers that amount that is lost when we exchange the money to their currency. We find that this amount is necessary to provide the complete, holistic child development program to the children in Compassion's program. Not only do we provide for basic needs such as food, clothing, and medical care, but we also provide for the children’s educational, emotional, and spiritual development. Please be assured that we are committed to carefully managing our costs in order to provide the most effective and meaningful programs possible.
In addition, as Teresa mentioned, we do not have any other communication methods available besides writing child letters at this time. However, we would love to have you visit your child! We can talk more about that when you choose your child and select a time that you would like to go! :)
Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.