Archived and Closed
This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Old post
I have an exciting announcement to make! I know this has already been re-posted by other sponsors from the pre-announcement that was made on our Facebook group for correspondent sponsors. I wanted to post this in a prominent place on this site so that everyone is aware. This information will also be posted on Compassion's main website www.compassion.com.
As you may know, in order to best serve the children in our program, we regularly conduct research to identify where improvements can be made. Recent research showed that the greatest frustration among sponsors and their sponsored children was the length of time it takes to receive letters. And, in a similar study of children, Compassion found that parents placed a preference on their children receiving letters over gifts. They said letters conveyed the love of the sponsor in ways that gifts could not.
This was a wake-up call that we needed to speed up the letter-writing process in order to deepen the your relationship with your sponsored child. Our goal is for all sponsors and children to be able to send and receive letters quicker.
Beginning April 11, 2016, all original letters between sponsors and children will be digitally scanned, translated and emailed. Children will receive high quality prints of your letters. You will receive letters by email and, if you choose, a scanned printout by postal mail. Letters will also be stored in your MyAccount.
This increases the letter delivery process by up to 50 percent, allows Compassion to increase the number of sponsors without slowing down our letter delivery, and will cost less money to implement—saving ministry funds and using them more effectively.
In the new letter-writing process, Compassion will deliver extremely high quality scans of your letters directly to your child’s country office. New printers installed in each
field office print your letter, which will be forwarded to your child’s center for delivery. Compassion has implemented printing and paper standards in each of our offices, and monitors these processes for quality.
In order to facilitate the digital letter delivery process, Compassion has made the following changes to our letter writing policy:
- All of your correspondence should include a personal letter to your child. Enclosures received without a personal letter cannot be sent along to your sponsored child.
- Your letter and any enclosures should be completely flat and made of paper.
- Letters and small paper gift items should be no larger than 8.5” x 11."
- Total number of items (including stationery) should not exceed six sheets of paper, including your letter to your child.
- If we are unable to send an item or if the items are in excess of six sheets, we will make every effort to notify you via email. These ineligible items will be donated or discarded at the discretion of Compassion's child correspondence staff.
Compassion provides translation for the letter you send to your sponsored child up to the maximum of six sheets per letter. The “six sheets” rule is replacing the 1/4” thick rule that has been our standard in the past. Please note, only the following items will be physically delivered to your child, up to a maximum of six sheets.
- Stickers (flat, not puffy or foam)
- Musical greeting cards
- Greeting cards
- Coloring pages
- Paper crafts