Question regarding child sponsorship by Ex-Pat.

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: isolated issue

I am an advocate and have spoken to a couple people about sponsoring children.  These people are US citizens, but are currently living and working overseas.  Can they still sponsor a child?

One of the people in my bible study that was interested in sponsoring a child is working a long-term assignment (3-5 years) in the British Virgin Islands.  He and his wife get back to the US every 3-4 months and he pays his bills online with his US credit cards.  Can he and his wife sponsor a child from the BVI and could his child’s letters get sent to him in the BVI?  Or would he need to have his mail sent to a family member and they forward it to him?

Lastly, my wife’s sister and brother-in-law are working in England and are interested in sponsoring a child.  They will be there for 1-2 years.  I think England is a partner country, but they also pay their bills online with their US credit cards.  They were asking if they could still sponsor a child and have that same child when they are in the UK and also when then return to the US.  While they are in the UK, they’d like to have their child’s mail sent to them in the UK.  But, when they return to the US, they want to have that same child in the US.  Is that possible?  What would be the best way for them to sign up;  use the UK website or the US website?

Thank you very much, Doug
Photo of Douglas Root

Douglas Root

  • 42 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Emily


  • 2650 Posts
  • 813 Reply Likes
Hello Douglas! I want to thank you so much for advocating for these children and helping us to find loving sponsor's quickly for each one of them :). Your role in our ministry is incredibly vital and we appreciate your hard work and passionate heart for the least of these! These are all great questions and I would love to provide clarification for how some of our donor's live overseas and still support a child. 

In regards to your very first inquiry, yes, a child can be sponsored by someone living outside of the United States and there are a couple of ways that this can be done. If the sponsor wants to support a child through our USA office, they must donate in US currency. Depending on the country they live in, Compassion has eleven partner countries that the sponsor can support a child through and may donate in that countries currency for tax benefits. These countries are: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, South Korea, Netherlands, New Zealand, Scandinavia, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and Ireland. 

Because your sister and brother-in-law want to give in US currency, we would not need to allocate their child to our UK office. Instead, the best route would be to sponsor a child through our USA office and put a UK address on their account to send them mail for the first 2 years. When they move back into the United States, they can contact us with their new address and we are happy to update their account for them so that their mail is forwarded to their new home. In this situation, they will be able to maintain their sponsorship of the same child.

In the case of your friend in your bible study, he and his wife are more than welcome to sponsor a child in their current situation! Because they come back to the United States to visit every 3-4 months, as long as they give their contributions in US currency, their donations will process just fine. They can donate monthly, quarterly (which may be best in their situation), bi annually, or even annually.  We even have the option of placing their child's support on automatic withdrawal from a bank account, debit, or credit card, if this option would be more convenient and set them at ease. Although it will take a few weeks longer for mail to reach them overseas, we are happy to send their receipts and child letters to them in the British Virgin Islands. 

I certainly hope that this information is helpful, but please let me know if you need further clarification or have any other questions that I can answer for you!
Photo of Douglas Root

Douglas Root

  • 42 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you very much for your response.

I wasn't sure Compassion would be able to send their child's letters to the BVI or to the UK because of the extra postage.  But, that gives them two options to go to a family member or directly to the BVI or UK.

Thanks again, Doug
Photo of Laura Baldwin

Laura Baldwin

  • 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sponsorship through Compassion works very well for expats too!  I am a sponsor and an expat living in Africa.  I have a US account, and pay with my US credit card. I was a sponsor before moving overseas.  Currently I mostly send letters through the online tool.  I receive letters through my employer's pouch mail - letters go to the US office in Colorado and then on to Africa.  That adds about 2 weeks transit time.  If I didn't have pouch mail, I would have the letters sent to my family in the US and ask them to scan the letters and send to me through email.

Best wishes,

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.